Sunday, March 7, 2010

Oscars: Hollywood Fraud and Confempt for Its Audience

The title does not directly deal with the decline of Hollywood and movies। I watch Turner Classic Movies--not because the politically correct people in charge of that channel are such great people, but because Hollywood used to make actual GOOD movies. It does not do that anymore, except occasionally by accident. Where you once had "To Kill a Mockingbird", you now have any number of politically correct movies that are nothing but heavy handed propaganda or leftist talking points told as dully as possible. That is when the movie is not simply gross, or nothing but a series of impressive special effects (which my family unanimously assures me is true of "Avatar").

Worst of all, Hollywood (people and movies) is now DULL. Special effects do not excitement make. "Gunga Din" was MUCh more exciting than ANY movie made this year.
But, as stated, that is not exactly the fraud the title speaks of। No. The FRAUD is the most cynical marketing ploy ever--saying a LOT in view of the history of Hollywood. We are talking here about the incredible decision to nominate TEN movies for best picture, when it is unlikely there is ONE movie in 2009 actually worthy of the award.

What makes ploy especially cynical is that the last year more than 5 movies were nominated was 2939--the BEST year in Hollywood history। In 1939, there were at least 20 movies who would--at least SHOULD--win best picture if they had been made in 2009. Yes, that is true even if they were made in black and white. You almost could not make this up. In almost its WORST year, Hollywood chooses to nominate more pictures for best picture than in its BEST year--inviting comparison with that year.

That is the fraud: this cynical attempt to suggest that there are now MORE pictures worthy of an Oscar nomination, instead of FEWER।

No, there is no excuse for this. Among other things, this further shows the CONTEMPT of Hollywood for its audience. Can TEN best picture nominees do anything but make the Oscar telecast LONGER, and more BORING? Not a chance.
Yes, I did listen to the opening of tonight's Oscar telecast। BORING. I should know. I tell everyone that I ASPIRE to a boring, dull life. EVERYONE agree s I succeed on every level. Thus, I know whereof I speak.

There is a funny irony here. I got in "trouble" (lol--more about that in later articles) for my article on whether California is worth saving. I even denied, at the end, that my attitude toward California had anything to do with my ex-wife now living in San Jose. Did you hear that LAME joke about James Cameron giving his ex-wife a Toyota, and the similar joke about HER? Many of the other jokes were in similar bad taste. And some people thought I was in BAD TASTE


P.S. Yes, I know. Tom Hanks was right (at the end of the interminable Oscars last night--perhaps the most boring event in the history of television--which I only had on in the background, paying quarter-attention). 2943 was really the last year there were 10 nominees for best picture. However, I am also right. That is still the Golden Age of Hollywood, and it hardly makes things better to compare last night's winner with "Casablanca", than to compare it with "Gone with the Wind" and "The Wizard of Oz." Yes, I am confident at leat 8 of the nominees of 1943--maybe all ten--would have deserved "best picture" last night. To return to 10 "best picture" nominees at a time when Hollywood is so weak--still invoking memories of the Golden Age highlighted by 1939--is an act of desperation. It was an act of inspiration for me to have an article on "Airplane" right after my article on the Oscars. You will remember--as you should have seen "Airplane"--that one of the standing jokes was that the "hero" kept telling war stories to the person sitting next to him--always ending with a variation of "Am I oring you.." to his seatmate. That seatmate is shown either having committed suicide or in the process of committing suicide--BORED TO DEATH. If you watched ALL of the Oscars last night, with attention, there is o reason to address any of this to you. You are not with us anymore. "Airplane" was right. It is possible to be BORED TO DEATH.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a movie lover, I couldn't agree more. Not only have the calibur of the movies dropped horrendously, but so have the calibur of "A" list stars in Hollywood. I mean, really, is there any actor in Hollywood today who can hold a candle to Bogart or Stewart? Or an actress as classy and talented as Grace Kelly or Doris Day? Not even close. What's even more sad is that most people under fifty today never even heard of Casablanca. And what's worse, if you actually sit them down and have them watch it...they don't like it!! Seriously! Why? Because it doesn't have special effects like Avatar. Retarded...it's all retarded. It almost makes me ashamed to be part of the 25-35 dempgraphic.

I haven't seen Avatar, but I already know it sub-par. How? Because it's already on DVD, and it was supposed to be the mega-blockbuster of the year.

Sadly old Hollywood is gone and it's been replaced by something that would horrify the stars of the golden-age.