Monday, July 6, 2009

Fearless Baseball Playoff Predictions: Dodgers, Giants, Phillies, and .....Somebody

In case you did not get the message, the above are my predictions for the playoff teams in the National League. Hardly "fearless", are they, when those are the teams who would be in if the season ended today. However, it is not as obviious as it may seem.


The Phillies are not playing well, and are only barely up on FLOIDA (that hot and cold team). That prediction is based on the class telling, more than the present standings. The Phillies still have basically the same Championship team, and they were a solid team (not a great team on its last legs, almost literally, like the 2006 Cardinals). The Giants still have little offense, and seemingly litle prospect of same. Howev er, it is said that pitching is 75% of baseball, and SF has pitching. That is what Milwaukee had last year, before it lost its two best pitchers, although it was not quite good enough for Milwaukee to make the World Series. The Giants willl severely test the 76% theory, if the Rockies don't blow cold again. It would be funny if they both blow past the Dodgers, although I don't see it. The Dodgers are too solid. I expect the Doedgers or Giants to be in the World Series for the National League. The Dodgers are the obvious choice, but I refuse to make that obvious a choice when I respect pitching as much as I do. Thus, I wimp out on that prediction: EITHER Dodgers or Giants.


Yes, I am wimping out on the NL Central. I remain unimpressed. I could make a "sentimental" choice of the Cardinals, who I would like to see there (even if only to see Pujols continue to play in the post-season, and not to waste such a year). The flaws are just too great, and the fquestions too many. But I think you can say that about them all. Doubt me (like Dan)? Well, again consider that the Cardinals pretty much left Houston for dead in April, and yet Houston is right there now (only 1.5 games or so behind the Cubs). The Cardinals have played SUB-.500 baseball since the end of April, and they still LEAD the divison. Cincincinnati is still hanging around, even though you would think they would not be there at the end. Pittsburg has made runs. The divison is just hopeless to "obejectively" predict, and no legitimately strong team has emerged.


Thus, you will have to do without my customary bravery. Hey, 3 out of 4 ain't that bad, even if they are the obvious present choices.

No comments: