Saturday, October 22, 2011

Herman Cain: Not Worthy of Endorsement

This blog has refused to endorse Herman Can, even though I have made it clear I would be glad to wave a magic wand and make him President (as would also be ture for Michele Bachmnn and Rick Santorum, despite their recent disappointing performances). And it is clear I like Herrman Cain more than I like Mitt Romney or Rick Pery (it still being doubtful that I can support Perry or Romney against even Barack Obama, although I am not going to have to worry about Perry--who will not get the nominaino). Herman Cain is the only person in the race with a sense of humor, and the only one who gives the impression of not being a POLITICIAN (of the usual kind).


Therefore, why not endorse Herman Cain? The lat wek has shown you why. I have lived with the abortion issue since the 1960s. All of that time, it has been a festering issue in American society, as the left (for the most part) continues its hypocirsy about supposedly "respecting life" so much that we can't even execute murderers, while appproving of infanticide--many of them even being fanatic about it as an affirmative good, despite their political protestations to the contrary. The issue is importtant to me, although I am willing to vote for a candidate who is not perfect on the issue--so long as that candidate is really god elsewhere. Herman Cain BOTHCED the abortion issue this week in a way that indictes he really has not even thought it through. Unlike the esoteric "issue' of "right of return" for Palestinians, it is almost inconceivable that Cain has not "thought through" the abortion issue, if he is going to run for public office, if ony to the extent of knowing what he is going to say. Further, this last week Cain BOTCHED the issue of "negotiating with terrorists" and the "issue' of an eletric border fence (which was not an issue at all until he brought it up out of nowhere). And Cain has really not done al that well, although not all that badly either, in explaining ad defending his 9-9-9 plan. And no one has even gotten to SOCCIAL SEICRITY, whre Cain is abaolutely right, in principle, but almost surely cannot explan how to get there (wher he is) from here (our present Social Security system).


Okay, this bog has yet again been PROVEN right. This blog told you long ago that the problem with Herman Cain is that he has not shown that he can stand up to the pressure of being a SEROUS candidate for Preisdent, likable and impressive as he is. He has not thought so many things through, even in political terms, and it is not clear whether he is CAPABLE of real depth of thinking. Why not OPPOSE c\Cain, then? Read my article earlier this week: "American People: Hypocrites?". I do read my own stuff (as I am typing it, even if my bad eyesight makes it impossible for me to really read it after I tpe it, or even see the words clearly as I am typing it). I am willing to give a LOT of latitude to a prson who is not "politic as usual". I think it would be a good thing for the country for someone like Cain to make it to be President--not because he is black but because he is NOT the usual kind of monster (politician) we have created over the last centry. Still, I can't endorse him because I see the flaws, and TOTAL lack of experience, and I just don't know if Cain can overcome the flaws as he tries to "invent himself' on the fly. Ronald Reagan, after all, was an actor, but also a successful governor of California (not to metnin having a well thought out, cohesive philosophy that Cain may not have). In short, I wish Cain had at least been governor or mayor or SOMETHING. No, that is not because he gains any points for havng been a OLITICIAN. It is because he has never been forced to face any hint of the type of task he has now set for himself. It is like a maiden running his first race in the Kentucky Derby. Maybe it can be done. It is just not the way to bet.



"But, Skip, it will have to be Romney or Cain. Are you not a hypocrite, under your own analysis, for not supporting Cain." Maybe. But I am not yet convinced it will be either Romney or Cain. You might have said earlier that it would be either Romney or Bachmann. And I feel toward Bachmann about the same way I feel toward Cain, althogh Bachmann has not come across as nearly so likable, and too mcuh "politics as usual", Tea Party styple. I will wait. I may endorse Cain, but it is not a sure thing. See what I have said about MEANINGLESS polls. Will Cain fade to Bachmann (present Bachamann) numbers? Will it end up being Romney vs. GINGRICH (which I would have said was impossible, but is now only improbable)? Or will the voting fragment, and DEADLOCK?


Nope. Cain has just not shwon me enough to be worthy of a present endorsement. I still like him (as almost everyone appears to like him). I would vote for him, and support him, against Obama. I would be glad to see him President, whether or not he is truly of the caliber to be a "good" President. Just having a man like Cain make it to be President woud be a good thing, and the country can survive him much better than we can survive another 4 years of Barack Obama. But it is just not yet clear that Cain can cut it. I prematurely endorsed Bachmann (goaded by the mainstream media attacks, and establishment Repubican attacks). I still would not mind Bachmnn being Preisdent, but she is not boing to be. I will not endorse Cain until I believe he rally has his act together. This last week has shown he does nto, even though I stand by my postion that the American people have to STOP letting "gaffes" and political inexpertness turn them off candidates. Or sle the American people need to stop telling themselves that they do not want the usula politicians. You can't have it both ways. Someone who is not a usual politician is NOT going to be SLICK and SMOOTH. He or she may tell you TRUTHS you don't like, and WILLL make inexpert "gaffes". You can't have it both ways. Either we are gonig to have "politics as usual" (which has brought us to the brink of disaster), or we are going to have people who SHAKE US UP (and the country). Make up your minds out there, or are you like Herman Cain on abortoni and reluctant to think the whole thiing through?


P.S. No proofreading or spell checking (that bad eyesight which prevents me from reading my own brilliant articles again and again).

No comments: