Sunday, March 27, 2011

VCU and ESPN

Yes, I like VCU, which just earned its way to the NCAA Final Four basketball tournament (nope--no recognition of the woen's tournament, because it is nottant, except to the participants, sort of like a men's lower division tournament). (The title, if you had not guessed, applies to ESPN and not anyone connected with VCU.) No, I don't like VCU because of the aggresive way it plays, or becuase it hs been the underdog. No, I don't like VCU just because it is from a "non-major conference. No, I don't like VCU because of a choach that really seems to know what he is doing (and hopefully will not quickly skip to a bigger, more "important" school, although it is hard to blame someone for bettering himself). Yes, VCU deserves credit for choosing such a young, impressive coach (as UTEP once chose a young Don Haskins, who never left to coach elsewhere--perhaps the most admirable thing about him). No, I don't like VCU because I am from Virginia, as I have spent almost alll of my life in El Paso and the surrounding area. I like VCU primarily becuase it has stuck it to the stupid--really, truly stupid--people on ESPN. See my previoius article on the subject. You will remember how the people on ESPPN--almost all of them--excoriated the selection committee for letting VCU into the tournament--the same ESPN people who were LOBBYING for 11 teams from the overrated Big East conference. Richmond, Virginia got as many teams into the "seet sixteen", the "elite eight" AND the Final Four as the overrated Big East (Connecticut sneaking through because it has the ONLY exceptional player from the Big East). The stupid people of ESPN compounded their stupidity by--many of them--saying that it did not prove them wrong if VCU won a game or two, since they just did not "deserve" to be in the tournament. ESPN people kept talking like performance in the tournament has NOTHING to do with whether a team should be there. That is crazy. Sure, Marquette--like Villanova--should not have been in the tournament. And Marquette won two games---although one hardly counts since it was against another overrated Big East team. But performance is EVIDENCE--just not conclusive evidence--that a team deserved to be there. And it is CONCLUSIVE EVIDENCE when a team makes it to the Fianl Four. You stupid people at ESPN can argue against this all you want. It merely proves you are stupid, and that is why I really like VCU. Yes, VCU has VINDICATED by previoius article--including my evaluation of the stupidity of the people lat ESPN. I was again proven right, in foresight rather than hindsight. No, this is not because VCU has advanced fruther than I thought they would, or because VCU was so convincing doing it (the MOST confincing of the fur teams which made it to the Final Four, which is not a prediction VCU will win but a prediction they CAN win). The reason I have been vindicated is because of my assertion that "non-major" conference schools deserve a CHANCE to be in the tournament, in place of overrated "major" conference schools who finish in the BOTTOM HALF--or below .500--in their own overrated conferences. Think of the excitement VCU has brought to the tournament, with its vibrant young coach. A lesser team from the Big 12 would not have brought that excitement. What is wrong with my proposal--merely an extension of the present "automatic" bids--that teams like VCU have the chance to PROVE they belong, instead of the 9th, f10th, and 1llth teams from the Big East? It appears that VCU has PROVEN me right. I bet you did not think, if you read my previous article, that my proposal could be PROVEN right? But it happens over and over with this blog, including in the most amazing and timely ways. Yes, you and I both know that ESPN dumped on VCU so hard because they looked STUPID with all of their "bracketology"--as if they were "experts" on what the NCAA would do. Further, many of those ESPN people said they had SEEN VCU play. I had not. But, I am sorry, I don't see how you could see this team play--and see their coach in action--and not even METNION VCU as a possible tournament team. The NCAA selection people are obviously not as stupid as ESPN people. Their seeding on teams like Notre Dame and Texas was also proven correct, if not too high. Their major mistake--perhaps influenced by the ESPN propaganda--was to take too many Big East teams, and seed them too high. Sure, I am rooting for VCU. Failing them, I will root for Butle. Isn't it nice that ONE of those teams will make it to the championship game? P.S. Again, no proofreading or spell checking (eyesight). Notice, however, that it is probable that the people at ESPN can't even READ, and NEVER COULD (as distinguished from me, who once could better than most).

No comments: