Wednesday, September 17, 2008

AIG: "Too Large To Let Fail"?

The above (headline quote) is a direct quote from President Bush's press secretary.

Q.E.D.  See my entries today, and over the past few days.  If AIG is "too large to fail", then it dhould not be that large, should it?  We should not have allowed it to MERGE with companies to reach a size hwere we could ot afford to let it fail (althogh I reject that conclusion--see again the earlier entry today). 

IF a company is deemed too large to let fail, then was are saying that the free mareket has FAILED.  More accurately, we are staying that WE have failed to set up the proper framework for a truely free market to operate. 

Nope.  I am glad President Bush is not running again.  These people don't really believe in a free market.  We know Obama does not.  I just wish I believed McCain does.

The problem with saying that the free marekt has "failed" us (not true, I think) is that we KNOW that central planning will fail us, and do it catastrophically.  Both history and logic prove it.  Central planning actually failed the houseing and financial mariets more than the free market system failed.

It gets discouraging to realize that other people do not seem to favor free market theory  To me, that includes being AGINST big mergers that create these moster companies "too large to let fail". 

One of my "maverick" aspects as a conservative is that I do NOT trust big business much.  Big corporate empires are jsut as dangerous to free market theory as government empires.  This willingness to look at big business with skepticism might come from my career as a personal injury lawyer.  I look at it the opposite way, since I felt this same way before ever going to law school.  My career as a personal injury lawyer probably had a lot to do with my distrust of big, bureaucratic organizations--even if they are private empires instead of government empires.

No comments: