Saturday, May 10, 2008

Admirals and Commanders-in-Chief: Double Standard

 

"A Navy admiral engaged in sexual relations in the White House in 1990 with a federal employee whom he falsely told he was a widower, according to a report released Friday by the Defense Department."

This CNN/AOL story blows my mind in several respects.  First, it would blow my mind that CNN and AOL consider this such a big story (one of the LONGEST I have ever seen on AOL, giving a virtual blow by blow description of both the affair and the "investigation")--that is, it woulc blow my mind if I did not understand the anti-military AGENDA here.  More fundamentally, it blows my mind that the military was "investigation" an 18 year old "affair".

Why is this a big deal? 1990?  I understand why an admiral would be disciplined for lying to investigators, but WHY was this being investigated (18 years after the fact)?  Has everyone gone insane?

Lest you forget, Dwight David Eisehnower is ALLEGED (I hve no idea whether it istrue, although it seems to be accepted by many historians) to have had an "affair" with his World War II (woman) driver.  I guess he should have been FIRED (maybe before he organized D-Day--to make sure the Nazis had a fair chance).

Notice how LONG this UNIMPORTANT story is.  Indeed, I consider the question of WHY the "investigation" to be more important than all of the "gossip" stuff that makes the story so long.

I will go further here: If EVERY military officer who has had an "affair" is going to be investigated, and forced to resign (actually, it appears the admiral was FIRED from a high postion, and severely demoted), we might have very few left (maybe the goal of some).

In fact, lest you forget, the COMMANDER-IN-CHIEF (Bill Clinton) had an affair with a government INTERN, and then failed to tell the truth to "investigators" (not to mention to the American people). I seem to recall that HE was not forced to resign!!!! Double standard?

I LIKED aan AOL comment to the above, under the AOL story where I posted it.  So I am repeatng the comment here (without any additional comment of my own):

"skip3366 01:30:48 AM May 11 2008

Report This! I will go further here: If EVERY military officer who has had an "affair" is going to be investigated, and forced to resign, we might have very few left (maybe the goal of some).

In fact, lest you forget, the COMMANDER-IN-CHIEF (Bill Clinton) had anaffair with a government INTERN, and then failed to tell the truth to "investigators" (not to mention to the American people). I seem to recall that HE was not forced to resign!!!! Double standard?

==========================================
Bill Clinton, while involved with Monica Lewinsky, removed an Air Force General from consideration for appointment to the Joint Chiefs of Staff because of an affair. He cited the lack of moral character in the man's leadership. That is a true double standard imposed by the President upon a General."

No comments: