Friday, May 30, 2008

John McCain: Obscene Profits Or Just Obscene?

I am going to try to do my entry on "What is a conservative?" by the end of this weekend.  As a sneak preview, I make this statement:  You are NOT a conservative if the phrase "obscene profits" ever crosses your lips.  See my entries this week, where I correctly note that the idea of profits as "obscene" is a MARXIST idea (not merely leftist). 

Therefore, it is not surprising that John McCain used the prhase to refer to oil company profits.  As far as I know, he has not used the phrase with regard to Google, a comapny with profits MUCH more "obscene" than oil companies.  I did think it was a little bit of a low blow (although somewhat amusing) for Rush Limbaugh to ask whether McCain thought BEER company profits were obscene, since that is the source of his wife's money that McCin has been living on.  This comment by Limbaugh was prompted by the news yesterday that BUSCH (the large beer company) profits had gone up strongly.  Cindy McCain's fortune, according to Rush (I don't care), was built on beer profits.

Yesterday, I took on Bill O'Reilly for the same thing--spreading this fallacious idea that oil company PROFITS are a matter of concern.  It may be a matter of concern that there is not a very efficient free market now operating in oil and gasoline (see my entries this week).  PROFITS are NOT a "concern".  They are the ENGINE that drives a free market system.  If you are going to attack profits, then you do not believe in freem market theory.   If you DO believe in free market theory (as I do), then you need to be contrating on how to help the free market WORK.  See my entry on having a CAN DO attitude on oil and gasoine prices, with specific suggestions to bring down the price of gasline, instead of engaging in this stupid demagoguery on PROFITS (again, a totally MARXIST approach).

Does Alex Rodriguez get too much PROFIT out of being able to hit a baseball so well?  Or do the Clintons get too much profit out of books and speeches?  These are NOT the correct questions to ask in a free economy, as it is not the correct question to ask:  Is Google too profitable?  

And some wonder why I believe that conservatives are now exiled in the Wilderness waiting for a LEADER to appear to bring them back to the Promised Land!!

P.S.  It remains true that I would not vote for John McCain for dogcatcher of Mt. Ida, Arkansas,where I lived most of the first 12 years of my life.  In fact, I would not appoint him SEWER INSPECTOR of Mt. Ida (I guess Mt. Ida had a sewer, although it was a town of less than 1000 people).

No comments: