Monday, April 7, 2008

Condoleezza Rice, Vice President?

Yes, one of those "hot" stories today--maybe nothing to it--is that Condoleezza Rice is quietly loobbying to be John McCain's running mate.  Won't happen.  Ay too RISKY a choice, without much upside.

Condoleezza Rice is better qualified to be President than, say, Barack Obama.

However, I would be SHOCKED if McCain chose her. This is not because Rice is African-American. It is not because she fails to be a very impressive individual.

It is because Rice adds nothing to McCain. She has never run for office (that I am aware of). She has no special qualifications on the economy, or elected executive experience. She has no real political costinuency, other than people like me who are generally impressed with her.  She has not even been "vetted" under the pressure of a political campaign.

Worst of all, Rice would tie McCain to the Bush Administration. WHY would McCain want to do that?  That is what McCain's OPPONENTS want to do. 

If McCain wanted to go with an African-American, I would go with Michale Steele (the SINGLE most impressive candidate, to me--for either party, in the 2006 elections, while LOSING a Senate race in Maryland). But Steele has only about the SAME qualifications as Obama.

Is there ANY Vice Presidential choice that would cause me to vote for John McCain.  I don't know of any.  There MUST be SOMEBODY out there.   However, if so, I am not specifically aware of such person (other than a few that McCain would never choose).  Romney would probably NOT do it (my older daughter, in Boston, dislikes Romney, but I endorsed him for President), although it might tempt me a little.  Let us face it, even at McCain's age, people (correctly) don't vote for Vice President.  They vote for President.

That is the reason McCain, if he is smart, will not choose a RISKY Vice Presidential choice.  You can hardly WIN the Presidency with your Vice Presidential choice.  You can, however, help LOSE the Presidency if your choice blows up in your face.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you on this one. It probably won't happen.

Dan

http://journals.aol.com/slapinions/Slap-Inionscom

Anonymous said...

I chose you as a Guest Editor pick today:

http://journals.aol.com/journalseditor/magicsmoke/entries/2008/04/11/guest-editors-picks-april-11-2008/3178

Anonymous said...

Again, I appreciate the "guest editor" nonor.  However, as I say above, I have not really had time for much of anything.  I am even in trouble for getting distracted and forgetting to wish my Boston daughter a "Happy Birthday" yesterday.  Sorry about not being able to react to this as I should.