Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama: How Obama Becomes President of the United States

This blog has consistently said that Barack Obama has been all about words--words which often condemn Obama frm his own mouth, when compared with his past words and actions.

It now appears that the Rverend Wright fiasco (a fiasco with roots 20 years in the past, and roots in the political ambition of Barack Obama--which appears to be why he associated himself with Reverend Wright in the first place) has destroyed Barack Obama's chances to be PResident of the United States (at least for this election).  Now this underestimates McCain.   I once erred by declaring McCain politically dead (along with everyone else), but I have absolutely no doubt about McCain's ability to snatch defeat fromt he jaws of victory.  Nevertheless, if Obama forces himself through as the Democratic nominee, he has to be regarded as a disntinct underdog against McCain.

I give this next advice hesitantly, because I have no desire to ever see Barack Obama President of the United States.  However, I am here to give you insightful analysis, and I feel an obligation t be hones.  Plus, I don't think that Clinton and Obama will listen to me.  But there IS a way for Barack Obama to rehabilitate himself--make himself a hero.  Sure, it is risky, but brilliant.

Obama has advertised himself, without any record to back him up, to be a "uniter" instead of a "divider."  What if he were to make the ultimate sacrifice, while he is AHEAND in the delegate race to be nominated as the Democratic candidate for President.

All Obama has to do is say something like this (AFTER making a deal with Hillary Clinton):  "I have said that I want to get beoyond "politics as usual", and to unite us rather than divide us.  I think I can do this.  However, there has been no doubt that this extended Democratic nominatiion process has tended toward being divisive.  Further, Reverend WRight has proved to be more divisive than I ever dreamed was possible.  My relative lack of experience and record, although I am proud of both, has cast some doubt on whether I can really do what I say I can do.  I have decided to back up my words with action--to show that it can be done.  I have gone to Hillary Clinton and offered to throw my support to her for the nomination of the Democratic Party for President of the United States, provided she supports me for the nomination for Vice President.  Although I think I am still the favorite to win the Presidential nod. I have taken this action to show that I am willng to ACT to unite people behind what is important for our country and my Party."

"I do not take this action likely.  Hillary Clinton and Bill Clinton are very capable and talented people.  They can reassure people with their experience.  At the same time, I think that I can bring enthusiasm to the White House, and be an agent for real change within a Clinton Presidency.  Hillary Clinton has promised me a real role in her Adminstration, and I believe her.   I have no doubt of her ability to be a great President--especially with the partnership for change that I expect us to form as President and Vice President."

I do not take this action lightly  I know that it will disappoint manyu of my supporters.  However, I believe that some dramatic action was necessary to SHOW that I mean what I say about uniting people.  This job will provide me the further opportunity to show people that I can be the uniter, and advocate for change, that I say I will be.   It will remove any questions about my own experience.  Therefore, I feel that my supporters will gget the best of all worlds.  They will be able to vote for me for Vice President, where I can do almost as much, in conjunction with Senator Clinton, as I could do as President.  In addition, my supporters will probably get another chance to voter for me as President."

I hope that this sacrifice, for the moment, of my own ambitions shows that we CAN have change in this country, and that it is possible to unite people with dramatic action.  I look forward to your vote for a great Democratic ticket."

The hero worship after an Obama speech (surely better than my quick draft) such as the above would be sickening.  The mere thought almost causes me to throw up. 

Look, however, at how EFFECTIVE it would be.  They might even nominate Obama for PRESIDENT by acclamation, and disregard the deal.  At the very least, Obama wil become THE hero of the Democratic Party.  Wright will be pretty much forgotten.

I really hate to think that someone may pay attention to the above.  My expectation is that no one like Obama quits when he is on the very verge of being nominated to be President of the United States.  It really would be unique for a politician to make this kind of gesture.  After all, someting might happen to keep Obama from ever getting the chance again. 

Still, the gesture would be so powerful that I truly hope no one pays attention to this entry.   I would never live it down if I were the one responsible for Barack Obama eventually becoming President of the United States (or, frankly, even Vice President).

No comments: