Barack Obama, in his speech today, picked up the Anderson Cooper "line" that this whole iss ue of Obama impliedly endorsing anti-American and racial hate is a "distraction" from the "real issues".
This, of course, is a brand new discovery by the mainstream media, and Democrats. Let us consider these "distractions":
1. Mitt Romney's Mormonism.
2. President Bush's National Gurad service (what did that have to do with the "issues"?).
3. Tren Lott's birthday comments praising the 1948 Presidential bid of Strom Thurmond. Lott had to resign as majority leader over that "distraction".
4. George Allen's alleged use of the "N-----" word IN COLLEGE--"distraction" anyone?
5. John McCain's alleged APPEARANCE of impropriety with a woman lobbyinst EIGHT YEARS AGO (the New York Times thought that "distraction" was worth a pate 2 story).
6. Rudy Giuliani's messy infidelities and family life.
7..........Oh, why go on. You get the idea. And NONE of the above were as bad as being associated with a RACIST, ANTI-AMERICAN pastor. President Bush would not be president if he was so closely associated with a racist pastor. Trent Loott would not longer be in the Senate. John McCain would face demands to bow out of the race (if his pastor turned out to be a Ku Klux Klan sympathizer).
Nope. The mainstream media, Democrats, and Obama mean something indiosyncratic by "distraction". They mean "distracting voters from what we want to be the 'issues'".