Monday, August 18, 2008

Olympics: Is It Live or Is It NBC?, part II

As I told you before, the real problem with non-live events is the opportnity they give TV people to MANIPULATE the coverage.  This manipulation is invariably obvious, and annoying.

For example, I KNEW that the American women were going to get a gold medal in the women's "eights" in rowing.  I knew it before seeing the race in prime time.  HOW did I know it?

Nope.  It is not because I had heard the result.  It is certainly not because I am psychic, or know anything about rowing.  It is because I also saw NBC's daytime coverage of rowing.   They showed every rowing final BUT the women's eights.  That means ONLY one thing (98% probability).  NBC wanted to reserve the shwoing of the gold medal performance for prime time, where they also could build "stories" arond a KNOWN result.

As I have said, this is ANNOYING in the extreme--at least to me.

 

No comments: